Saturday, December 29, 2012

Style: DIY Peter Pan Collar

I have really been liking Peter Pan collars lately so I decided to try making my own. Once I got the size and shape of my collar down, this came together pretty easily!

What you need:
Pen and Paper for pattern
Felt
Ribbon
Hot Glue or Needle and Thread
Scissors
Embellishments (optional)

I started by making a pattern. I ended up tracing the neck hole of one of my husbands undershirts and then tracing a collar from another shirt. I had to play around with it until I had it how I liked it, but that is the beauty of starting with a paper pattern. It ended up looking like this:
Next, I pinned it to my felt and cut it out.
I have a bag of vintage gems picked up from a yard sale so I spread them out on the counter and laid out my pattern. You could also use lace or ribbon around the edges or nothing at all. Once you have your pattern laid out, carefully slide the gems off and then glue them in place, starting in the middle and working your way out. You may want to sew them in place instead. My daughter got hold of my finished project and now all my beads are being sewn down.
Once the gems are in place, cut two pieces of ribbon 6-8 inches long, and glue them to the the back of both sides of your necklace. I also cut two triangles of felt which I used to cover the glue and help secure the ribbon.

Done! Time to style it!
Granted, I felt a little like I was channeling my inner Trekie for this outfit, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. At least my shirt wasn't red!

Top: A'gaci
Belt: JC Penny
Skirt: Gift
Shoes: Payless
Necklace: DIY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think or see pictures of anything you make from what you see here!