Monday, December 3, 2012

Scrap Fabric Rosette Pin Test

This fabric flower is the perfect way to use any scrap fabric that you have already lying around. I had seen it before and kind of had an idea how to make it, but Sara at Craft Snob broke it down for me and now I'm going to break it down for you. Start with a long, thin strip of fabric. It needs to be at least a foot long and at least an inch wide. I wouldn't go any wider than about 6 inches unless you fold it in half. It doesn't have to be a perfectly straight piece of fabric either. Literally any skinny scrap will do.
Next, twist it up as tight as you can get it. If your fabric is long, you may need to have a buddy help you, or in my case, the jar of pesto from the Ricotta-Pesto Pizza post.
Next, bring the two ends of your strip together so that it folds in half and twists around itself. You may want to twist it a few more times so it's a little tighter.
Starting with the fold-end, roll your twist into a flower shape and secure. You can do this by sewing or gluing it. I chose to hot glue my rosette to felt and then trim off the excess. You will want to sew it if you plan to attach it to something that you want to wash in the machine in the future. I like to hot glue a safety pin, hair clip or both to my flowers.
This works with any length of fabric and any kind. I think the tan colored one is my favorite! 
Would you wear one of these rosettes?

1 comment:

I would love to know what you think or see pictures of anything you make from what you see here!