Monday, January 21, 2013

Leftover Chicken Taco Soup


Ever have some leftovers that you just don't feel like eating again? I am always re-inventing dinners. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! This is the story of one that did.
We were having taco dinner night at my parent's house and I offered to bring a little extra taco filling. I boiled 2 chicken breast, drained and shredded them and stirred in a can of Campbell's nacho cheese soup and just a little milk. It made for some yummy taco's, but when I took it home, I didn't have any burrito shells on hand to finish it up with. So I thought, what about taco soup? I also had some leftover plain white rice and about half a carton of chicken broth. Additionally, we had some tomatoes and onions. My husband diced the tomatoes and onions up and cooked them in some butter and salt while I added the chicken broth, rice and a little frozen corn to our creation. Once the onions and tomatoes were soft we added them as well along with a little heavy whipping cream and some extra taco seasoning and let the whole thing simmer. The result was awesome! Here are those ingredients again in list form:
2 chicken breasts - cooked and shredded
1 can Cambell's nacho cheese soup
1/2 cup milk or heavy whipping cream
8-10 oz. of chicken broth
1 - 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1 onion
1 tomato
2 tbs. butter
1/4 cup frozen corn
Seasonings to taste

What's your favorite way to use leftover chicken?

1 comment:

  1. I am going to have to try this recipe. I use left over chicken in my salads or in alfredo chicken penne. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think or see pictures of anything you make from what you see here!