Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Gluten Free Broccoli Cheese Soup

I'm actually going to give you two recipes for this soup. One, the Velveeta original, and the other, my modifications to make it gluten free for lunch with my friend that has Celiac disease. I found the first recipe on my case of Velveeta and it looked really good so I decided to try it and it was AMAZING! Better than the copy cat Panera soup that I have tried before. When I invited my friend for lunch I thought that I might be able to adapt it pretty easily to be gluten free. I looked all over the Kraft site for the original recipe but I couldn't find it so I took a picture.

But, (big pause) I can't just leave a recipe alone, can I? So, here is my gluten free version. You will need:
3 Tbsp. butter
Half of an onion
3 oz. cream cheese
1 can of chicken broth
3/4 cup milk - if you don't want your soup thick, use a cup
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
8 oz. of Velveeta
1 bag of frozen broccoli florets - original recipe calls for 10 oz. but I like a little more
10-12 baby carrots

First, cut up your carrots lengthwise into quarters.
Then, boil your broccoli and carrots.
While they are boiling, cut up your onions. Dump your carrots and broccoli into a colander and melt your butter in your already hot pot. Cook the onions. While the onions are cooking, transfer your broccoli and carrots onto the cutting board and with a large knife, carefully chop them up. This will make the soup a little smoother.
When the onions are cooked, wisk in the cream cheese. Then stir in your chicken broth, milk and heavy whipping cream and let it cook for a few minutes. While that is cooking, cut the Velveeta into cubes. Next, add the broccoli, carrots and Velveeta and stir until melted. Let the soup simmer for a little while to set and you are done!
Enjoy with a baked potato or fruit for an awesome lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think or see pictures of anything you make from what you see here!