Monday, October 15, 2012

White Pizza Pasta

Saw this Pin and couldn't resist. If there is one thing the hubs and I like, it's pizza! Now mix that with pasta? Delish! I knew I had pepperoni and mozzarella cheese in the fridge that needed to get used, but I wasn't sure what else I had. After checking my stock I came up with a jar of Alfredo sauce and half a box of bow tie noodles. I also had chicken and ground beef in the freezer. Not exactly what the recipe called for: rigatoni, tomato sauce, Italian sausage, onions. But I decided to give it a try anyways. I also cut the recipe in half. To make my version you will need:
A half a box of pasta - if you are using spaghetti or fettuccine, I would suggest breaking it in half
1 to 2 cooked chicken breasts, diced - I used 1 1/2
A jar of Alfredo sauce - or about a cup and a half of homemade sauce
About 3/4 cup of milk
Frozen vegetables
2-3 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
Pepperoni for garnish (optional)

From here I followed the same idea as the recipe from the Pin. Mix together your uncooked pasta, sauce and veggies. I used carrots and broccoli because that is what I had in the freezer. Mushrooms, peppers, onions, or asparagus would all be good as well. Maybe even some spinach leaves. Also, emptying the sauce into the bowl, I filled the jar about halfway with milk. I replaced the lid and shook it really well to get all of the sauce still stuck inside the jar and then I added this to my mixture as well. This gives the pasta a little more liquid to soak up.
Normally I would save a dish and mix it right in the crock pot, but this recipe calls for layering of your ingredients, so I had to use an extra bowl. The original recipe also suggested to spray your crock pot with cooking spray which is an excellent idea. I started with a layer of pasta, then a layer of chicken, then cheese. I repeated this two more times.
Finally, top with pepperoni and oregano if you like and let the crock pot do its thing. I cooked it on high for about an hour and 45 minutes. 
My husband and I loved this recipe with all of its cheesiness! My picky one year old even tolerated a few bites. It's not a recipe I would make all of the time though, what with the major fat content! I think you could add plenty of veggies and it would still be good, I just didn't happen to have too many on hand. So, that's white pizza pasta. Try some tonight!

1 comment:

  1. That looks wonderful!! I love the idea of taking a recipe and making it your own. I'm so glad you liked it and I'll be sure to try the white pizza version the next time I make it!! Have fun!
    -CookingwithJoey.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think or see pictures of anything you make from what you see here!