Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Matching Mommy-Daughter Hair bows

I don't normally buy things from craft stores. When I do, it's usually because I'm shopping with my mom. We have that effect on each other. On a recent trip to JoAnn's I came across these fabric flowers being sold by the yard and knew I could make my daughter an adorable hair bow out of them. They were priced at $6.99 a yard so to buy only 3 came out to $1.55 plus tax. Not a bad deal considering I was able two make two accessories from them! 
They were originally attached in a line so I removed one and then got to work on the other two. I had an ill-fitting head band from the Dollar Store that had an adorable embellishment on it but was too tight and hurt my head. I decided that I could use the black elastic from it for my daughter. 
I removed the elastic and set the embellishment aside. The next time I pull out my glue gun I will add a clip to the back of it.
After that I began prepping my flowers. I decided that I didn't like the look of them in a straight line so I moved one flower over so that it was slightly overlapping the other one and gave it a few stitches to keep it in place.
Next I decided that the flowers need a little something more so I pulled out some sparkly buttons and sewed them to the middle of each flower.
Next I worked on my elastic. I wrapped it around my daughter's head and saw that it needed to just over lap about a half inch so I made a few stitches to hold the two ends together. All that was left was to attach the flowers to the elastic.
I stitched the flowers down in the middle and on the two edges, making sure that the elastic still had plenty of give. My daughter's head band was done!
To make mine, I simply sewed the button on and hot glued a hair clip to the back. Easy-peasy!
Mine can be worn either in my hair or attached to a head band as well.
I can't wait for my daughter and I to wear them together. I think I'll also be hitting up those craft stores more often for deals like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think or see pictures of anything you make from what you see here!