Sunday, November 18, 2012

"Anything" Mini Dinner Pies Pin Test

I have been wanting to learn how to make pot pies for a long time, but I really don't like messing with dough that I have to touch. I don't really like preparing sticky food with my hands at all. So when I came across this recipe on Pinterest, I knew I had to "Pin Test" it.
There was no specific recipe on there so I will share mine with you as well as what I would change. For a dozen muffin size pies you need:
1 cup Bisquick
I cup milk
2 eggs
About 4 cups of filling:
         Meat from 2 cooked chicken thighs
         1/2 cup of frozen peas
         One large carrot cut and cooked in the microwave
         1/4 cup of frozen corn
         1 small can of water chestnuts
         About 2-3 ounces of cheddar cheese
         Salt and Pepper at the table
Directions
On one container mix your Bisquick, Milk and Eggs. Spray your pan with Pam and put about a tablespoon of the Bisquick mixture in each muffin tin. Then mix up the rest of your ingredients and put a small scoop in each one. Top each pie with another tablespoon or two of the Bisquick mixture. Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes or until done. Allow to cool for a minute or two before removing from pan.
Changes for next time: I would probably use pre-cooked potato chunks instead of water chestnuts although the crunch was nice. I might also mix in some cream of mushroom soup or make a white sauce gravy to go on top. I would top each one with a little more cheese as well.

There are soooooooo many possibilities for this recipe. I used to always make a box of Hamburger Helper when I didn't know what to make for dinner but this may be my new "use up leftovers" go-to recipe. I can also see these freezing really well, especially if you wrap each one in a small sheet of plastic wrap and then store in a freezer bag. When making these I would not suggest using any meat or vegetables that weren't already cooked. Some other variations for this recipes that might be good are:
Taco Pies
Cheeseburger Pies
Philly Cheese Steak Pies
Pizza Pies
Tuna Casserole Pies
Broccoli Chicken Pies
Asian Stir Fry Pies
Breakfast Sausage Pies
Smoked sausage and Green Pepper Pies (maybe, ha-ha!)
BBQ Chicken Pies (again, MAYBE)
And so on . . . 

What do you think would make a good Mini Pie? Share your recipe ideas in the comments! 









No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think or see pictures of anything you make from what you see here!