Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Book Review: Northern Lights Trilogy

This is another review for the website Blogging for Books that I first introduced you to here. I had the opportunity to review a series this time which was much more enjoyable that just part of one. This time I chose the Northern Lights Trilogy by Lisa Tawn Bergren.

The story follows two sisters and a friend (as well as the men in their lives) as they move from Norway to America for new opportunities in the late 1800s. 

My Review:
I really enjoyed this series. I had never read anything by this author before but I liked the style and pace of the books. Each chapter opens with a different character and switches between their intermingling story lines. One of the things I liked the most about this series was that it wasn't just about love but also loss and redemption, as well as plenty of action and adventure! This is one of those books that will keep you reading late into the night! I also appreciated the clear presentation of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ as well as the very present moving of God's hand in each of the character's lives.

There really wasn't too much not to like about this book. Some of the themes and scenes were a little intense (an adulterous husband, rape) so I would not recommend it for young teens. Also, a few of the plot twists were a little predictable and thus did not quite get the emotional effect that perhaps the author was seeking.

All in all, however, this was a very enjoyable a read that was both uplifting and encouraging, as well as just plain fun! It was a glimpse into something I don't know much about, shipping and sailing as well as life in the West in the late 1800s. I would recommend this series to anyone, late teens and above, who is looking for a light and enjoyable Christian fiction read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think or see pictures of anything you make from what you see here!