Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Philly Cheesesteak Croisants

Ever send your husband to the grocery store and have him come back with things totally not on the list? Eh, at least he did the shopping, right!? Well that's how I ended up with this:
A pack of frozen cheesesteaks. We had real Philly cheesesteaks in Philadelphia for our anniversary 2 years ago and I have loved them ever since.
 Apparently, a "real" one has cheese wiz on it. I tried it and didn't think it was that bad.
This version calls for all real cheeses however. I had pinned it pretty recently, so it was the first thing that came to mind when my husband brought his prize find home! 
You can find the original recipe here, but I did make a few modifications and would make a few more. I started by cooking up some onions. Mushrooms and peppers would be good too, but peppers we all I had on hand. Next, I started on the meat.
The package suggested that I break the meat up and microwave it but when I tried that it didn't work very well, so I just threw in into the pan with the onions and it cooked up great! Next I added the broth and cream cheese. I would not use as much cream cheese next time as it was a tad overpowering. And that is coming from someone that loves cheese! Next I rolled out my crescent dough and put some shredded mozzarella on each one. I prefer mozzarella to Swiss. I then crammed as much filling as I could into each one, but after cutting the recipe in half I still had more than would fit in 1 can of jumbo crescent rolls. NBD, I just ate the rest of the filling! I justify those kinds of things at this stage of pregnancy. Then I baked them at the magic 350 until they looked like this (about 14-15 minutes).
For once, a new recipe that my husband loved! We had no problem finishing these off in 2 meals. He can be a tough critic so this one is a keeper for sure!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think or see pictures of anything you make from what you see here!