Friday, August 31, 2012

Dole Whip Pin Test

This looks amazing right? Tropical, refreshing and most of all "smooth" all come to mind when viewing this image. Well maybe if you are at Disney where dreams really do come true. This is my first Pinterest review and one of the reasons I finally decided to start this blog. I came across another blog in which the blogger's entire website was dedicated to testing and reviewing Pins as well as sharing her results. I had been thinking of doing the same thing for a long time, but seeing an example was the little push I needed to get started.

I had never heard of this before but it seems to have quite a fan following. You can find the original link to this idea here although I don't know why you would want to.

The recipe called for:
2 20 ounce cans Dole crushed pineapple with juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/3 cup sugar
1 and 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped

The first time I attempted this recipe I cut it in half so I could spend less money. I also opted for a tub of Cool Whip instead of the heavy whipping cream because a) I'm cheap, b) I'm trying to watch what I eat sometimes and c) I didn't want to use the blender AND the hand mixer for just one recipe. Too many dirty dishes when you don't have a dish washer. Other than that I followed the directions exactly. It came out tasting somewhat alright but the texture was WAY off. Definitely not the soft serve pictured above. I thought maybe it was my bender. Perhaps it just wasn't powerful enough to chop all that pineapple up really well. That, and the cool whip.

So, fast forward a few weeks and we are staying at my Grandparent's house in TN (something we do often as we travel) and I decided to try it again. This time I'd have my grandma's very nice blender and I'd use the heavy whipping cream. We were having a big family night and so I decided to prepare it for that. I guess blenders just don't like pineapple because it came out terrible once again. The heavy whipping cream made no difference. As I was transferring it from a gallon zip lock bag to a bowl, my aunt described it as looking like an unpleasant female infection. It was THAT BAD. A few brave souls did try it but concluded it needed more sugar at the very least. My grandma was very sweet about the whole thing and kept insisting it was good, but she also comes from a generation that does not waste as she was not about to let me throw it in the trash!

Conclusion? Unless you live in Hawaii, leave this one up to the folks at Disney.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think or see pictures of anything you make from what you see here!